Every living creature requires adequate sleep in order to have a healthy and optimal life. The sleep cyclemust be regular so that the body can have a chance to replenish all the energy reserves used during the day and ensure you have the energy you need for a productive day tomorrow. Lack of sleep usually comes with a lot of detrimental effects, including impaired brain power as well as a weak and tired body for the most part of the day.
It seems like every living creature knows about the importance of quality sleep, except man, who despite knowing what might happen if they don’t get enough sleep, still go ahead to deprive themselves of good and quality sleep. At this time and age – a period when there are a lot of dramatic distractions and catching good quality sleep seems to be a preserve of the few, everyone should understand the consequences of bad sleeping habits and the kinds of impacts they may have in one’s life.
Here is a brief look at some of them so that you are duly informed and always strive to get the recommended hours of contact with your mattress and pillows-:
Effects of poor sleep in your life
It is estimated that 58% of adults in the world suffer from one kind of sleep disorder. This should be alarming since it is more than half the world’s adult population. It is a subtle indication at just how people are unable to sleep well, and if you go deeper, you will find the consequences to be far-reaching that you might have thought.
Poor sleep habit is a sure precursor to insomnia as well as other sleep disorder, and once these come calling, life will never be the same again. Regardless, poor sleep habits is another assured way to create a residual sleep deprivationcondition which may subtly lead to deep sleep problems that you might find it really difficult to come out from.
You can bet that once you get to the deeper levels of sleep deprivation, your life will literally fall apart and life may turn into a bore you never imagined you could ever go through. This is why it is very important for you to be very alert and be able to tell when you are not getting enough sleep so that you can save yourself before things get worse. Here is a look at some of the signs and symptoms you should watch out for to suggest that you are getting disturbed sleep-:
- You feel tired all the time, usually from mild to severe
- You are easily irritated, and your temper rises so fast. You are also moody and you can’t simply understand why.
- You can’t concentrate and you find that you sometimes hallucinate or lose memory every now and then.
- You don’t have proper coordination in your faculties and you find that you are making mistakes every now and then
- You have problems with your relationships, ranging from your loved ones to friends and colleagues at work
- You are prone to being absent from work or school
- You have lost your appetite, or you find that you binge-eat a lot
- You have resorted to using prescription sleep aid as a means of trying to get normal sleep
- You use a lot of stimulants
The consequences of poor sleep habit on your daily life could stretch an entire shore, but these are some of the common ones and which you should keep a close eye so that you don’t lose your sanity due to poor sleep.
Economic effects of poor sleep habits
When you don’t get enough sleep, it is not only your person that will take a hit. The consequences will spread and you will definitely see your finances and economic life getting affected as well. Since you will lose your ability to concentrate and stay productive, whether you run your business or you are employed, the effects will also be felt in your daily operations and it is likely that your earnings will be affected in one way or the other.
For example, if you are late to work, whether your own venture or where you are employed, you are likely to be at loggerheads with your bosses or you will not be in a position to deliver quality services. If your work requires a lot of concentration, but you can’t concentrate because you did not sleep well, the accidents you may create at the workplace will come with very huge financial implications.
Other than the direct financial impacts you will suffer as a result of poor sleeping habits, you will be surprised by certain facts about the global economic impactsof sleep deprivation. The sleep products market is a multibillion-dollar industry as millions of people from all works of life are relying on sleeping pills to have better sleep at night. This market also features other sleep apparatus such as purple mattresses whose reviews you can find here, earplugs, white noise machines, pillows, bedsheets, beds, sleep music, aromatherapy sleep-related products and much more. It is a huge industry attempting to make it possible for millions of people to have good rest every single night.
How to create good sleep habits
The best way to do away with the bad sleep habits which will have a myriad of consequences in your life would be to replace with good sleep habits, and the good news is that there is a myriad of ways through which you can achieve this. They include the followings:
- Creating a regular bedtime and wake up routine
- Identifying all the possible sleep stealers and avoiding them at all costs
- Not using stimulants before going to bed
- Exercising on a regular basis since exercise if vital for good rest at night
- Avoiding television, phones, laptops and any other source of blue light at night
- Improving your diet and avoiding certain foods before going to bed
- Improving your sleep environment by investing in quality bedding and making the bedroom environment a welcoming one. Here are some purple mattress reviewsif you are thinking about changing your mattress.
If you try the above but you see no change in the quality of your sleep, it may be a good idea to consult a sleep specialist for a possible diagnosis of a sleep disorder, then embark on the necessary treatment.